The building that houses
is a brick and masonry neo-Gothic treasure that's been a Lake View neighborhood
landmark for 100 years. Built in 1903 as part of a project undertaken by the SCHLITZ BREWERY, the building was one of
hundreds erected at the turn of the century. This project included structures
housing everything from corner taps to opulent hotels, and stretched from
Minneapolis through Wisconsin to the far reaches of Chicago's Pullman district.
remains one of a handful of these elegant buildings still operating as a
saloon. In 1988 Chris and Michael Schuba bought the building, and set upon
refurbishing it to its original glory. This extensive renovation included
restoring the 30' Brunswick mahogany bar, tin ceilings and walnut wainscotting
in the bar room, and a full makeover of the back music hall. The ornate
exterior, featuring two-toned herringbone patterned brickwork, copper parapets
and cornice caps and two SCHLITZ globe logos in terra cotta bas relief, has
been carefully cleaned and restored. Several years ago the second floor
saloon-keeper's flat was changed to an elegant private banquet facility,
complete with its own mahogany bar.
Completing this renovation in 1997 was the expansion of
dining operation into the building next door. A new full-service kitchen and
80-seat dining room make up the adjacent
THE HARMONY GRILL. This addition offers
an expanded selection of
signature home-cooked American regional cuisine and seasonal specials. Good
weather permits us to open up the dining room onto a sidewalk cafe on
In August of 2011, Schubas was designated a Chicago Historic Landmark as a result of its history as a Schlitz Tied House.
In the spirit of its public-house roots,
is open daily for lunch and dinner and weekend country brunch. We offer music
entertainment nightly. For more information on upcoming events at
SCHUBAS, or specifics on hosting a
private gathering in one of our rooms,
call 773-525-2508 ext 16.